Friday

Are You a Well Watered Garden?

On our way home from church the other night, my husband told me that the teacher of the men's Bible study he was in, asked a show of hands of how many men were out of work. My husband said there were too many hands to count. Out of about 500 men, there were close to half who raised their hands. My husband was among the group who raised his hand.

It seems as though we are amid an epidemic of unemployment. It is rare to find a man who knows that his job is secure. We praise the Lord with those friends we have who still have their jobs, because we have even more friends who have lost theirs. It would be very easy to get panicked by what we see going on around us.

My husband is in real estate & has not had a closing since September. So, he is on the job search to find some part time work until the real estate business picks back up. In the mean time we have experienced extreme financial adversity. It has been very hard & many times my husband & I have struggled with depression as we trudge through this journey. But we always have the Truth of God's Word to bring us through & remind us of his wonderful promises of provision.

The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11

There are so many times I have found myself on my knees crying out to God for direction & mercy. I felt the life was being sucked out of me from this "sun-scorched" land. His silence rang so loud in my soul. "Where are you God?" I know that He is with me, but His silence is unbearable at times.

When I find myself beginning to doubt whether or not the Lord will really provide for us, I turn to His word & speak out loud his promises. It is the only way I can replace my fears & doubts with hope for tomorrow. I am like a well watered garden because I have been drinking of the Living Water. Below are a few of my favorite verses to meditate on.

Lamentations 3:22-23, "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed for his compassion's never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

Isaiah 41:10, "So, do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Psalm 125:1, "Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion; which cannot be shaken, but endure forever."

Philippians 4:4, "Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS." Read the whole chapter!

Colossians 1:17, "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

kids-gardening-rs

When we are in the midst of impossible circumstances, we often do not think of ourselves as being something pleasant to look at. But when we can come to a place where we can rejoice & praise him while living in difficult times, we are like a well watered garden, flourishing, colorful & pleasant to the eyes to our God. Our praises lifted up to him are like a sweet aroma, satisfying to the senses. I don't know about you, but this is what I want. I want Him to see me as a beautiful desert flower that blooms amid the most dry and treacherous deserts.

How does your Heavenly Father see you? Are you praising him or asking why He is letting this happen? Yes, we are living in a sun parched land. Many of us are enduring extremely difficult times, but He promises to meet our needs, he promises to guide us & he promises to strengthen us. Believe that! He has never broke a promise yet & He never will!

1Timothy 1:12, "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service."



No comments: