Tuesday

The Faith to Wait

My pastor has been working his way through the life of Abraham for quite a while now. I am always amazed at how much wisdom and truth he can pull out of Scripture. This past Sunday was no different. Isaac was born!  Finally!  We have been waiting for 15 sermons for that baby to finally come. Smile
The chunk of his sermon was on waiting for God to fulfill his promises, because we know he will…right?  Right???
The first verse of today’s passage caught my eye.  It was highlighted…not by a marker, but by the Holy Spirit.  I couldn’t stop reading it.
gen21.1
The LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did to Sarah as he has promised. Genesis 21:1
If you remember the story, when the Lord promised Abraham he would give him a son, Sarah didn’t believe it; in fact she laughed out loud. (Genesis 18:12)
This was an unconditional promise by God to Abraham and Sarah.  He didn’t say, “If you believe in me” or “If you obey me”.  He just said, “She will bear a child” PERIOD.  God didn’t need Sarah’s faith to keep that promise.  He didn’t need her permission or her obedience.  But, of course her faith and trust that he would indeed keep that promise was nothing more than a gift to her.
How many times do I miss out on God’s gifts to me because I doubt him?  Too many to count.
We are still waiting on God to provide adequate income so we can move to our own house.  He promises to provide for us and he IS.  We have a house, we have food, we have clothes. We even have enough money to pay the few bills we do have.  He is providing. But, yet there are still times I think God is not providing.  I wonder if he has forgotten about us.  I wonder if we will ever get to live in our own house.  Will I ever get to unpack all my books???
You know Sarah wondered if God would really do what he said he would do.  God promised her a baby 14 years before he gave her one!  14 years!!  And then…it happened!  We get nervous when God makes us wait a few months…she had to wait 14 years!
God is never late!  It will all happen in HIS time…not mine.  Whatever you are waiting for God to do that he promised he would do…it will happen in HIs time. 
I found this saying this week & loved it!!
Carving on Old Door
I hope that while God keeps you waiting, you are trusting him and looking for his gifts in the midst of waiting.

********************************************


I am linked up with Cornerstone Confessions today.  Check out other encouraging posts today linked up.


 
I'm also linked up on Woman Living Well blog