Friday

Excellent Correction

Psalm 12:18 says, "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."


Discipline is a God ordained opportunity for parents to train up their children in a way pleasing to God.  But because we are sinners, our discipline of our children doesn't always please the Lord.  I have days when I wait until I am so frustrated with my children that I fire off like a rocket at them and call that discipline.  It isn't.  It's just me spewing off at my kids.

One of my boys has quite the temper.  We call him our hot little Irishman because he can fire off so fast. Last night 2 of our boys were having a really hard time getting along.  I sent them to bed with instructions to not talk to each other, look at each other or get close to one another, but to wait for me to come to their room.  About 5 minutes later I opened the door to their room and found the little irishman standing over the younger brother holding a plastic baseball bat to his nose.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  WHAT DID I TELL YOU TO DO?
The Little Irishman immediately began his excuses for not being in his bed.  I didn't really care what the reason was, I just wanted him to go to bed.  I had heard their bickering all day and was done with it.  I gave them clear instructions to not move out of their beds unless there was a fire!
About 20 minutes later I went upstairs to check on them & found the Little Irishman sitting up in his bed, while the younger brother was sound asleep in his bed.  I sat down & asked what he was thinking about.  We talked for a bit.  I listened to him tell me how he thinks he is the only one that ever gets in trouble. (funny how all of my kids think they are the only ones who get in trouble)  We talked for a little bit about the importance of obediance and walking away from trouble.  He likes to be the last one standing, not the first one to walk away.  After we talked for a bit, I prayed for him.  When I was done he thanked me for praying for him and said that he really wanted to do better and learn to walk away from trouble.
I accomplished more with him in those short minutes than I had all week harping on him to stop fighting with his brothers.  My quiet heart, ministered to his hurting heart and repaired a stressed relationship.  As Christian parents the correction of our children is meant to bring about their excellent qualities, not diminish them.  Our correction can pierce their heart like a sword, or it can bring healing.  It is up to us if we will let the Holy Spirit create in us a gentle heart so we can correct more effectivley or if we continue to correct in our own strength.  I don't know about you, but  the Holy Spirit has a much better way!


post signature