Wednesday

Whatever you do


I love listening to my children read, especially when they are reading the Scriptures.

This morning we were going over our theme verse for the year and starting our new Character study.  I was letting the kids take turn reading our verses and the sweet young voice that can sometimes get on my nerves so badly sounded like beautiful music as I listened to him read,

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, 
not for human masters. Colossians 3:23

"So, when you tell me to do my school work, I am really doing if for the Lord, not for you?"  he asked.

As we talked about it, my own mind wondered about how I am doing at this.  How does that happen...talking with your kids while you have a conversation secretly with yourself?  Must be a Mom thing.

Whatever I do, work at it with all my heart.  I have to admit, I'm not real pleased with myself.  I still find myself posting on Facebook things that I think will impress others, or tweeting verses or quotes I really need to take personal, but instead I post them hoping to encourage someone else.

I've got the pharisee thing down really well.

How can I instruct my kids to work for the Lord, if I am working for human masters?

I just joined a new writing team for a really neat ministry for moms (more on that later) & as I began praying about what my next article would be on I asked the Lord, "How can I tell moms anything when I am so fallen? I'm such a mess!"

His words whispered softly to my aching soul, "My grace is sufficient".

And last night as I watched my daughter sleep next to me, I read Paul's words to Timothy...

"Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works, but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began." (2Timothy 1:8-9)

He has called me to a holy calling...he has called me to be a wife & mom.  It is hard to do when you live 2 hours away from your husband and older kids.  But the calling is still there and he called me to this for HIS OWN PURPOSE which I don't always understand, but that is ok.

And his GRACE!  Oh his wonderful grace.

So, whatever I do, I must do with all my heart because it is for God's purpose & grace I am doing it, not for anyone else.  What a blessing it is to serve such a wonderful Lord who loves me & calls me because of his own purpose, not because of anything I have done...or not done!





  signature